The Definitive Guide for Vaughan Ontario Postal Code
The Definitive Guide for Vaughan Ontario Postal Code
Blog Article
Some Known Factual Statements About Vaughan On
Table of ContentsNot known Facts About Vaughan Ontario MapAll about Vaughan Ontario ApartmentsAn Unbiased View of Vaughan Ontario Postal CodeThe Best Guide To Vaughan Ontario To TorontoWhat Does Vaughan Ontario Hotels Mean?Not known Details About Vaughan Ontario 4 Easy Facts About Vaughan Ontario Weather Shown
John Lyons died in 1814, and his mills and various other property were bought by William Purdy, who included many renovations. His boys, about their relative, William Wright, developed a tannery and grist mill. The Lyons' mill was later on made use of as a carding and complete-'ng mill. A fire in 1828 consumed the brand-new flour mill developed by Mr.After his failure the building fell into the hands of David Macdougall & Co. They were unfavorable, the primary buildings being damaged by succeeding fires. In 1820 Henry White constructed a distillery farther up the stream. On great deal 34, concession 1, Nicholas Caber, a German, built a saw-mill in 1825, which was damaged by an incendiary fire five years later on, being restored the following year.
Indicators on Vaughan Ontario Map You Should Know
It was again melted and rebuilt, and is still in procedure. On great deal 36, in the very same giving in, Barnabas Lyons, a son of John Lyons, previously pointed out, constructed a sawmill in the year 1839, which was benefited about thirty years. Hiram Dexter developed a saw-mill 011 whole lot 37, in the year 1836, which was in procedure for numerous years.
On lot 41. Mr

Atkinson after that came under financial difficulties, and his home was purchased by Edward Hawke, of Toronto. This mill is still in excellent functioning order. A double-geared saw-mill was set up on great deals 45 and 46 by James Playter in 1848, which is still extant. Higher, on the very same branch of the stream, stood a distillery built by James McDavids in 1844.
Some Known Questions About Vaughan Ontario Map.
Mr. Langstaff additionally had a carry out factory on one more little branch of the Don, in the instant area. This was built in 1850, a steel file factory being have a peek at this site after that included. On whole lot 50, concession 1, a saw-mill was built, in 1842, by a guy called Heslop, and benefited several years.
In all, there have actually been first to last twelve saw-mills, seven grist mills, and 3 distilleries, built on the Don and its tributaries in Vaughan Area. The negotiation of Vaughan was completed about thirty-five years after the arrival of the pioneers. The basic personality of the land is clay and clay loam; 19,266 acres being heavy clay, 41,074 acres clay loam, 5,670 acres sandy loam, and 1,500 acres sand.

The 6-Minute Rule for Vaughan Ontario Weather
Of the population in the latter year those of German beginning numbered 993, being mostly the descendants of old settlers from Pennsylvania. There were 5,248 indigenous Canadians, data occupiers of land phoned number 824, of whom 500 were see here now likewise proprietors. The overall location in line of work was 67,848 acres. In 1881 the real-time supply of the area numbered as follows: Livestock, 2,952; equines, 2,481; lamb, 4,349, and hogs, 2,207.
Among the proprietors of purebred livestock are M. Reaman, Robert Marsh, William Agar, George Bell, Peter Frank, Jacob Lakmer and kids, and Edwin Langstaff. The local records of Vaughan, which have not been maintained further back than 1850, reveal that in that year the council was organized under the new regulations which then carne effective by the political election of David Smellie, David Bridgford, John W.
At the initial meeting held in the town hall in the 5th giving in, J. W. Gamble was elected reeve and David Smellie deputy-reeve, James Ashdown was picked municipality staff, and Nathaniel Wallace, John Stephens and William Porter, assessors. At a succeeding conference, Rev. James Dick was appointed superintendent of Typical Colleges at a salary of 20.
Vaughan On Things To Know Before You Buy

Arnold loaded the chair in 1861 and the vaughan on the cowboys two following years, with William Chef as deputy-reeve. Alfred Jeffrey was deputy-reeve during the previous year, and Thos. In 1868 the reeveship fell to Peter Patterson, and William Hartman and Robert J.
Fascination About Vaughan Ontario Hotels
G. J. F. Pearce, that had officiated as municipality clerk and treasurer for virtually 10 years, resigned, and Mr. J. M. Lawrence was appointed to succeed him. Mr. Patterson held the reeveship for 4 years.
The principal metropolitan officials for 1884 are as complies with: Reeve, T. Porter, Humber; 1st deputy-reeve, William Chef, Carville; second deputy-reeve, D. Reaman, Concord; 3rd deputy-reeve, Alexander Malloy, Purple-ville; councillor, George Elliott, Woodbridge; area staff and treasurer, J. M. Lawrence, Richmond Hill. Mr - vaughan ontario hotels. Lawrence is of U. E. Patriot origin
Report this page